We were founded in March 2006 by The National College for Teaching and Leadership, Ark, and the SSAT.
We were founded on two key premises:
- That all children are capable of achieving excellent outcomes at school, whatever their background.
- That effective, inspirational school leadership is the key to achieving this
- 2006 - The Future Leaders programme launches with a cohort of 20 in Greater London
- 2007 - We gained approval for another cohort, and recruited 29 new aspiring headteachers in Greater London
- 2008 – Cohort numbers reach 52 and the programme expands to the North West in September 2008
- 2009 - 57 Future Leaders are recruited and the programme expands to the West Midlands. The Future Leaders Charitable Trust is awarded a contract to continue a full roll-out of the Future Leaders programme for Cohorts '10-'12
- 2010 – 68 Future Leaders on Cohort ’10, as we expand into Yorkshire and the Humber, parts of the Midlands and the South Coast
- 2011 - 66 Future Leaders are recruited for Cohort '11 across the regions.
- 2012 - 77 Future Leaders are recruited to make up Cohort '12. We become licensed by the National College to deliver accredited programmes for senior leaders (Leading Impact - NPQSL) and those a year away from headship (NPQH)
- 2013 – For the first time, the Future Leaders programme expands into primary schools in Greater London and the North West, a move we believe is essential to closing the achievement gap.
- 2014 – The Future Leaders programme now covers both primary and secondary across all regions
- September 2014 – The Future Leaders Trust is announced as to deliver a new programme – Talented Leaders – aimed at matching exceptional and committed leaders to areas across the country struggling to recruit great heads.
In the future, we will be looking to bring more like-minded school leaders into a powerful network for change to ensure all children, regardless of background, realise their full potential.
To find out more about The Future Leaders Trust, please contact us.