Future Leaders Charitable Trust is an independent education charity with the mission to eradicate educational disadvantage by developing outstanding leaders for challenging schools.
We were founded by the National College and ARK in March 2006 on two key premises:
- That all children are capable of achieving excellent outcomes at school, whatever their background / postcode.
- That effective, inspirational school leadership is the key to achieving this.
- Our flagship Future Leaders programme targets high calibre (current or former) teachers inspired by our mission to close the achievement gap and the opportunity to make a real difference. Successful applicants demonstrate the potential and commitment to reach headship within four years (secondary) and two years (primary). We place them in challenging schools while developing and supporting them in the key aspects of school leadership to ensure they make the most impact for disadvantaged pupils.
- There is a growing network of over 300 Future Leaders working in more than 200 challenging secondary schools – together they impact the life chances of at least 200,000 children throughout England
- Almost 50 Future Leaders have reached headship since the programme started in 2006 – we estimate that those currently in post are impacting the lives of at least 38,000 children
- Despite a steep decline in advertised senior leadership jobs since 2008, Future Leaders are sought after for senior leadership posts: 94% of Cohort ‘11 have secured senior leadership positions after completing their first year and 95% across all cohorts of Future Leaders are currently working in senior leadership jobs in challenging secondary schools.
- We are improving the diversity of senior leaders in challenging schools – across our seven cohorts 18% of Future Leaders are from BME backgrounds and 53% are female
- In 2013, we expand to primary schools and for the first time, a Future leaders cohort will include aspiring primary heads.
- We are also licensed to deliver senior leadership (Leading Impact – NPQSL) and headship (NPQH) training accredited by the National College